- processing pro‧ces‧sing [ˈprəʊsesɪŋ ǁ ˈprɑː-] noun [uncountable]1. MANUFACTURING when a substance is changed as part of the manufacture of a product:
• Fire broke out at a food processing plant in Hamlet, N.C.2. COMPUTING the use of information, figures etc to produce a particular resultˌbatch ˈprocessing COMPUTINGwhen a computer system processes different Batches (= groups) of data (= information) or different jobs one after the otherthe use of computers to store and organize data:
• computers designed for commercial and business data processing
• Invoicing is precisely the kind of function that can be taken over by electronic data processing.disˌtributed ˈprocessing COMPUTINGwhen a computer system processes data (= information) at various places, instead of using one central computerˌparallel ˈprocessing COMPUTINGa system in some types of computer that can work on several problems, calculations etc at the same time, making it much faster:
• NCR systems range from notepad computers to systems with parallel processing.
• parallel-processing research and development projectstranˈsaction ˌprocessingCOMPUTING when a computer system processes transaction S (= single actions that make a few related changes to the data in a database )ˈword ˌprocessing abbreviation WPCOMPUTING when you write, store and process documents using a computer:
• software for word processing and database storage
* * *processing UK US /ˈprəʊsesɪŋ/ US /ˈprɑːsesɪŋ/ noun [U]► PRODUCTION the series of actions that are taken to change raw materials during the production of goods: the processing of sth »
Uruguay's manufacturing production and exports are largely based on the processing of natural resources.processing equipment/facility/plant »
The refinery is among the largest and most advanced crude oil processing plants in the world.► IT the use of a computer to collect, store, organize, and use information→ See also BATCH PROCESSING(Cf. ↑batch processing), CPU(Cf. ↑CPU), DATA PROCESSING(Cf. ↑data processing), DISTRIBUTED PROCESSING(Cf. ↑distributed processing), PARALLEL PROCESSING(Cf. ↑parallel processing), WORD PROCESSING(Cf. ↑word processing)
Financial and business terms. 2012.